Spring is here and with longer daylight hours and warmer weather also comes the big Spring Clean. A clean house creates a healthy home for you and your family, and whilst many of us will be spending an increased amount of time in our homes over the next coming months, it’s the perfect time to have a good clear out and get the house in tip top shape.
A recent survey from vacuum brand Capsule looked into modern day cleaning habits. Despite almost half (45%) saying they thought a ‘spring clean’ was a bit of an old-fashioned idea, two-thirds (64%) said they intend to do one this year, with more young people planning to undertake a deep clean compared to older generations.
It’s also been proven that Instagrammers play a massive role for home cleaning inspiration with almost two thirds of all Brits being inspired to clean by influencers – and Mrs Hinch ranks first as the nation’s favourite. Bizarrely 2% of people named David Beckham as their inspiration - the ex-England and Manchester United footballer is known for his obsessive tidying.
More than half of those surveyed said they actually feel happy when cleaning with 51% saying they found it therapeutic. If you’re planning to lift the mood in your home and undertake a big spring clean during these few weeks, check out our handy cleaning hacks below that will make light work of the tasks ahead and ensure your home will look spick and span in no time:
- Get organised and start with a plan. Spring cleans can be overwhelming so make a plan of which rooms you need to tackle and put them in order starting with the most labour intensive to the least and take one room at a time. This way you’ll feel a sense of achievement early on and be able to view the transformation of one room which will motivate you to start another.
- Once you have your ‘to do’ list, it’s now time to de clutter. Whether its closets bursting with clothes, toys that go unused or gadgets that never see the light of day, there is no point tidying and finding space for things that you don’t need. Bag them up and leave for your local at-home charity collection. Not only will you have less to clean, your room will also look bigger as you will have more space to store the key items you do use on an ongoing basis.
- Get the right kit. Before you start giving you room a deep clean, make sure you have all the products and accessories you need so you don’t have to break off from the job at hand. Don’t forget bin bags, cleaning cloths, rubber gloves and scourers as well as cleaning products.
Tip! Always keep bicarbonate of soda, lemon and white vinegar to hand as cheap and non-toxic alternatives to shop-bought cleaning products.
- Make sure you work from top to bottom. Start with dusting your surfaces and cleaning your windows before finishing your room with a run around with the vac. This will give you a consistent clean and pick up any dust, dirt and debris that has fallen onto the floor. Capsule’s cleaning research also found that almost a third of the population enjoy vacuuming and therefore it’s always good to save the most enjoyable task to last!
- Brighten up your outlook and don’t forget the windows! Distilled vinegar and water make the ultimate product for gleaming windows, all you have to do is buff.
Tip! If you wipe horizontally on the inside and vertically on the outside, you’ll then be able to see which side (if any) the streaks are on.
- Freshen up your home from any lingering odours. Carpets, beds and upholstery or the bottom of bins and cupboards are the main culprits of bad smells in the home. Simply sprinkle some bicarbonate of soda and leave for 24 hours before vacuuming it up – it works a wonder at deodorising, leaving your home smelling like new. Because it’s spring, don’t forget to open the windows to let the sunlight and fresh air burst through the house.
- And finally, a spring clean doesn’t have to be a lonely task. Why not get the whole family in on the cleaning act – but make sure you have a treat at the end to reward all the hard work. A slice of cake or a glass of something will taste even better in your sparkling clean and de-cluttered home.
Capsule from appliance brand Halo, uses carbon fibre to create the only lightweight cordless with the same capacity and power as a traditional full-size upright vacuum. For the full cleaning survey findings visit the website.