In September 2018, Wigan Council were given permission to redevelop five sites across the Worsley Mesnes estate. Taking the views of residents, community groups and organisations within the local community formed a vital part of this project and have helped shape the regeneration proposals.
Almost 95 per cent of residents who took part in the consultation supported the proposals, which included the demolition of five sites to make space for new housing, retail and landscaping improvements.
The five sites identified for development include:
- Site A: Site of the former Hindley House Sheltered Accommodation (already demolished)
- Site B: The site of the former Wheel Pub, the shopping parade, adjoining parking areas and a number of Council owned block flats off Dryden Close.
- Site C: The site of Huxley House Council flats and former site of Blake Close Council flats (demolished)
- Site D: Area of open land at Elliot Drive between Eliot Gardens extra care scheme and Mesnes Avenue
- Site E: Site of former Victoria Labour club, and area of open land to the north
Regeneration partner In June 2020 Wigan council selected Keepmoat Homes as their preferred development partner to regenerate the area. The proposal of 169 new homes, of which 42 are affordable homes and 127 homes for private sale, along with a new shopping parade. Delivered across the five priority development sites offers the potential to create a truly balanced and integrated community that will support the sustainable growth of the estate over the longer term. Keepmoat Homes investment will support a number of important regeneration objectives identified by the Council, with emphasis placed on:
- Increasing the choice of quality homes to diversify the existing tenure
- Delivering retail space in a new ‘heart’ which will act as a new focal point for the estate
- Delivering an enhanced public realm and improving connectivity through the estate
- Create a truly balanced and integrated community through high quality design and place making.
A planning application was submitted as of January 2022, If you would like to feedback in relation to our proposal, once you have viewed all the details on this website please email us on [email protected]