Food inspiration - Quick and easy meals
If you’re looking for a bit of food inspiration, whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner, Zoe at Meals For Mini Mouths has shared 4 of her most popular recipes that are quick and easy to make and most importantly, go down a treat with the whole family.
Apple & Carrot Sausage Rolls
These are our all-time family favourite! The Apple & Carrot Sausage Roll was invented for our daughter during her fussy phases. Hiding fruit and vegetables in the mixture not only adds to the flavour, but also ups the nutritional value of your average sausage roll. They are perfect for garden picnics, snacking and a little change from the lunchtime norm!
300g sausage meat
1 pack puff pastry
1 egg (optional)
Mixed herbs (optional)
1. Grate the apple and carrot, then squeeze to remove some of the juices.
2. Mix together the sausage meat, carrot and apple.
3. Roll out the pastry and cut in half lengthways.
4. Divide the sausage meat into two and roll each into a long sausage shape.
5. Place each long sausage onto the middle of each strip of pastry.
6. Fold the pastry over the top of the sausage meat and seal using a fork.
7. Cut the sausage rolls into 3-4cm lengths and place them onto a baking tray.
8. Brush the top of each one with whisked egg and sprinkle with mixed herbs (optional).
9. Bake on 180 °c for 15-20mins, until browning on top and crispy.
Serves 5. Suitable for freezing.
Broccoli & Pesto Pinwheels
A great dish to transform a broccoli hater into the biggest fan! Blending raw broccoli into pesto provides a delicious, yet sneaky way to expose those taste buds to broccoli. They’re super simple to make and a scrumptious lunchtime treat or a delicious addition for a little garden picnic.
2 cups broccoli florets (raw)
120ml pesto (of choice)
Handful of mozzarella
Roll of puff pastry
1. Place the raw broccoli florets into a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Combine the pesto and broccoli together.
3. Roll out the puff pastry and spread the pesto mix all over.
4. Sprinkle with mozzarella and tightly roll up the pastry to form a swiss roll.
5. Cut pastry swiss roll into 1cm slices and place them flat onto a lined baking tray.
6. Bake in the oven on 180 °c for 15-20 mins until browning and crisp.
Serves 5. Suitable for freezing.
Simple Banana Muffins
These simple sugar-free muffins make a welcomed change from the standard cereal/toast breakfast cycle. What’s more, they leave your home smelling good enough to eat for the rest of day too! It’ll be hard not to keep little hands away from these tasty muffins and it’s a fantastic recipe to get the children involved with. Extra tasty with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup.
60ml olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
200g all-purpose flour
Handful of raisins (optional)
1. Mash the bananas in a bowl, mix in the egg, oil and vanilla extract.
2. Gradually combine the baking powder, cinnamon and flour, until you have a smooth mix.
3. Spoon mix into a greased muffin tray.
4. Bake at 180°c for 20-25 mins until golden brown.
5. Drizzle with honey whilst cooling (optional).
Serves 5. Suitable for freezing. Dairy and sugar free.
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
This is a firm family dinner winner! There’s nothing more satisfying than popping this into the slow cooker on a morning ready for the family to sit down later to enjoy a curry night. Best of all, the children devour this without even realising they’re enjoying so many veggies! I often find there’s plenty for second helpings or you can put any leftovers into the freezer for a quick and easy meal another day.
4-5 chicken breasts
Handful of mushrooms
2 tsp garlic
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin coconut milk
1 tbsp tomato puree
4 tbsp mild curry powder
2 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp butter
1. Chop up all the vegetables and place into the slow cooker with all the other ingredients. Leave the chicken breasts whole. Then stir well.
2. Slow cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
3. When the cooking time is up, remove the chicken breasts and shred using a fork.
4. Before adding them back into the slow cooker, use a hand blender to blend the sauce in the slow cooker until smooth.
5. Stir the shredded chicken into the smooth sauce and serve.
Serves 6-7. Suitable for freezing. Can be made dairy-free by using dairy-free butter.
Don’t forget to share your food creations with us on Facebook and Instagram – we’d love to see them! Use the hashtag #KeepmoatHomes and be sure to tag us in your posts.