Site Manager KMH/NW/303
Keepmoat Homes is a fast growing top 10 UK housebuilder. We design and build quality homes and create places where people want to live.
Our investment and participation helps transform communities and improves the lives of local people. We have a national presence combined with local knowledge and expertise in all aspects of housing – from finance, design and planning, to developing and building. Our comprehensive skills and capabilities give us a wider perspective across the whole housing lifecycle and we create lower risk ways of building homes people need.
For more than 90 years our work has been absolutely visible to local communities so being part of the community is in our DNA. We hire local suppliers and tradespeople and work with local communities to make sure that our plans meet their needs.
Main purpose of the role
• To safely and profitably plan, manage, and control the day-to-day site activities on site to meet/exceed programme, in accordance with company policies and procedures, within the budgeted cost plan.
• To understand, implement and adhere to H, S & S policy and strategy and ensure that all staff reporting to you does the same.
• Contribute and present to the Pre-Site Start Presentation following detailed preparation, studying drawings and specification, site inspection with Construction Manager and obtaining of short-term programme from the Civil Engineering Contractor
• Establish the site office and compound in accordance with the company standard layout and maintain in good order
• Liaise with the Civil Engineering Contractor to ensure compliance with Health & Safety requirements, the programme and material/plant storage/segregation
• Produce the annual Notional Unit Programme in conjunction with the Construction Manager, the 3 Monthly Programme and the Monthly Production Schedule (planning work to complete ahead of budgeted requirements in order to reduce Prelims costs) and uses the weekly updates COINS programme to plan work and to complete ahead of forecast.
• Control of Work in Progress - Schedule materials in line with the programme, whilst maintaining minimum stock levels, confirming requests by Fax, and ensuring that all work is carried out to that approved on the Quarterly WIP release form.
• Produce Weekly Planning Sheet to schedule trades and agree this with sub-contractors, including resource requirements (ensuring meetings minuets are recorded in the Site Diary and confirmed in writing/email)
• Liaise with multi-utility/statutory providers to ensure that mains and services are installed/diverted/re-located in line with programmed requirements
• Hold weekly meetings with the Home Sales Executive, maintain and update the Customer Plot File and ensure Customers’ Extras are completed fully as per Sales Instructions
• Attend and contribute to the Bi-monthly Production Meetings
• Arrange the final NHBC Inspection for the programmed physical completion date to enable the Certificate to be issued (in good time to allow the release of funds for legal completion) and Fax copy of Certificate to Head Office Sales Dept
• Produce the Handover Information Pack for completed properties, including the recording of meter readings
• Follow the Exit Plan ensuring all ground works and Customers’ remedial items are completed prior to leaving site
• Produces weekly and 2 weekly forecasted WIP labour requirement for all trades.
• Strive to achieve construction excellence and recognition within internal key performance indicators (customer excellence) and external awards, (NHBC “Pride in the Job” and LABC).
• Carry out routine inspections (minimum twice per day per plot) to ensure that instructions are carried out, the specification and site presentation requirements are complied with, and the required quality standards are met, updating the Plot Quality Control Checklists.
• Liaise with NHBC and Local Authority Inspectors for Key Stage Inspections, escort inspectors on site and act upon their findings
• Progressively and formally inspect all stages under construction (including Stage 4, Pre-Plaster, Pre-Paint and Pre-CML; to identify/rectify any defects and educate operatives to eradicate recurrent problems
• Carry out 7 days visit to Customers and resolve any issues that may arise
• Complete any items raised on 21-day visits by Home Sales Executives
• Complete Monthly KPI’s for sub-contractors and suppliers
• Feedback design improvement and innovations through the Construction Manager
• Ensure adherence to the Customer Hallmark Journey.
• Check and authorise the fortnightly/monthly sub-contractor requests for payment
• Ensure materials are stored securely and in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations to minimise loss and wastage
• Advise the Construction Manager of material shortages and excesses in order to adjust schedules
• Ensure waste materials/packaging are recycled wherever possible and where not are disposed of in accordance with the waste management policy
• Minimise company liability for Day work payments; ensure all works are agreed, costed, order numbers issued and approved by Construction Manager prior to commencement
• Complete the daily Diary and the following weekly reports:
• Plant Return Sheet
• Material Received Sheet
• Hourly Paid Time Sheet
• Report Sheet (Doc 9)
• Production Report
• Ensure that materials are called off for a just in time delivery to reduce the risk of fire, theft and damage.
• Ensure that the companies Variation Process is adhered to and that Contra charging is applied where applicable.
• Ensure the customer journey is followed to promote customer excellence
• Respond and complete open COINS issues in a timely manner
• Ensure the Customer Hallmark is followed to ensure customer excellence is provided
• Ensure that all contractors comply with Defects Resolution Process within their Trade Specification ensuring that timescales to complete defects are achieved within that timescale, and in accordance with the Home Demonstrations and Hallmark Journey.
• Establish and maintain visual presentation of Sales area and Show Home to company standard
• Ensure that you personally present a professional image on site by wearing the company uniform, being well presented and by developing good working relationships with everyone you meet in your role as Site Manager.
• Ensure all stock properties are accessible and kept to the highest standard.
• Lead and motivate the site team (direct employees and sub-contractors) to achieve the required objectives
• Carry out ‘toolbox talks’ and less formal one-to-one communication with site employees to ensure that they are kept abreast of changing requirements, developments etc
• Ensure that direct employees on site receive timely feedback on their performance and are trained and developed accordingly
• Oversee the training and development of trainees on site
• Undertake mentoring of employees to share knowledge and skills and provide long term development support
Areas of Discretion
• Must not take any action, which exceeds the contents of this Job Guide without the consent of the Construction Director
• Not to divulge any information other than to an officer of the Company on matters which are confidential to the Company
• Not to take any action which could be deemed not to be in the best interests of the Company
To take care of your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your work and adhere to the Keepmoat Health, Safety and Sustainability standards.
Skills, knowledge & experience
• Up to date relevant knowledge of building legislation
• Up to date relevant knowledge of Health and Safety legislation
• Previous experience gained through working in Site Management; Clerk of Works; Buildings or NHBC inspection roles is an essential requirement
• A 1st class understanding of the expected fit and finish of a new home
• The ability to deal with difficult situations and communicate in a clear and confident manner
• Strong customer facing experience coupled with a delivery focus
• Good business sense
• The ability to motivate and lead a team
• Initiative, drive and enthusiasm
• Excellent communication skills
• Good planning and organisational skills
• The ability to work calmly under pressure
• Ability to competently operate MS office (Word & Excel)
• Proven experience in similar role
• Professional attitude and approach to work
• First rate communication and influencing skills
• Good at developing relationships with Operational leadership
• Flexible – able to work at all levels and at hands on level
• Good level of numeracy
• Report writing
• Team commitment
• Demonstrates eye for detail and commitment to delivery excellent standards
• Excellent organisational skills
• Effectively manage time to meet deadlines
• Knowledge of people management tools and techniques e.g. talent mapping; succession planning etc
• Covered a more senior role to support upward management experience
Education & qualifications
Relevant industry requirements,
Coaching or Mentoring Qualification for example ILM at level 3 or higher
Why work for us?
At Keepmoat Homes we pride ourselves on being a great place to work. As the market leader in our industry we want to ensure that we attract, motivate and retain the best people who can deliver the best service for our customers.
- Competitive rates of pay – We regularly check our pay against our competitors to make sure they reflect our position as market leader. We also review our pay every year.
- Bonus Scheme – Our annual bonus scheme is linked to team and company performance.
- Special offers for staff – We run a range of offers and discounts exclusively for our employees including holidays, health club memberships and days out.
- Trust – We encourage you to come up with ideas and get the most out of your job with us.
- Development – we offer genuine development opportunities to progress your career.
Our values are the foundation for our vision, the cornerstone of our culture and the benchmark for our achievement.
- Straightforward - We get the job done in the most efficient and effective way. We are friendly, open and honest. It’s about being respectful and working in a transparent and honest way.
- Collaborative - We work together in partnership to deliver the very best customer experience. Partnership working is key to our business. We work collaboratively to deliver the best results possible.
- Passionate - We care about what we do. We put pride and energy into delivering results. It’s important to us to do a good job.
- Creative - We are proactive, flexible and resourceful. We listen, learn and deliver solutions. We don’t offer a one size fits all solution; we are flexible and will tailor our services to our customers’ needs.
Hours: 39 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Location: Blackburn, BB2 3HH
Employer: Keepmoat Homes North West
Job type: Permanent Full Time
Closing date: 19/08/2022