Commercial Manager KMH/NE/348
Keepmoat Homes is a fast growing top 10 UK housebuilder. We design and build quality homes and create places where people want to live.
Our investment and participation helps transform communities and improves the lives of local people. We have a national presence combined with local knowledge and expertise in all aspects of housing – from finance, design and planning, to developing and building. Our comprehensive skills and capabilities give us a wider perspective across the whole housing lifecycle and we create lower risk ways of building homes people need.
For more than 90 years our work has been absolutely visible to local communities so being part of the community is in our DNA. We hire local suppliers and tradespeople and work with local communities to make sure that our plans meet their needs.
Main purpose of the role
- The Commercial Manager is responsible for general day to day management of the commercial function to ensure it fully supports the needs, aspirations and targets laid down by the company whilst providing support to achieve the business plan
- Setting, agreeing, reviewing and delivering all targets
- Delivery of accurate and timely reports for the business in line with company-wide processes
- Management of all aspects of the commercial function ensuring that all controls are in place and are followed to maximise the company’s profitability
- Identification, escalation and proactive management of all commercial issues
- Protect the company’s legal and contractual obligations
- Procure new site starts by pre-planning, ensuring timely delivery of technical and design information and providing commercial input into pre-start meetings
- Monitoring and controlling builds costs by overseeing the costs to complete reporting
- Manage the implementation of new house types
- Support and assist as necessary with the group drive for efficiency savings
People Management Responsibilities
- To lead and build a motivated and engaged team
- To recruit the right talent into the business
- To develop your team members by enabling and motivating them to be the best that they can, building a strong talent pipeline to support the growth of the Business, completing Talent Mapping and Succession Planning bi-annually ahead of the mid-year and year-end Performance Development Reviews and discussing the outputs in these meetings
- To undertake bi-annual Performance Development Reviews with your team members and effectively managing any concerns that arise relating to these and to support team members Personal Development Plans
- To address confidently and competently performance, behavioural and absence issues in a supportive manner and taking the necessary actions to improve these while ensuring team members understand their personal responsibilities in these areas
To take care of your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your work and adhere to the Keepmoat Health, Safety and Sustainability standards.
Skills, knowledge & experience
- Technical experience: Ability to increase our Trade Contractor base, by identifying new partners and working with existing partners to improve relationships and resolve any issues that may arise quickly; to be compliant with our “All Risk” Civil Engineering Procurement and negotiate the best value packages. To procure new sites, support in the pre-start planning, ensure timely delivery of technical design and information and provide commercial input into pre-start meetings. Effective and accurate monitoring and control of build costs, overseeing the cost to complete reporting, guaranteeing trade specifications to be current and comply with building regulations, supporting and driving identified efficiency savings. Attention to detail and accuracy is required to ensure detailed cost planning by way of producing feasibility studies for all land negotiations (Cap Ex 1), with these being updated throughout the planning process and producing detailed cost plans for inclusion within Cap Ex 2. Producing Site- Start budgets and annual “Bible” costs and completing a thorough investigation of commercial viability of all modern methods of construction and keeping your professional knowledge up to date within this area
- This is not an exhaustive list of the technical experience that we seek in this role, but what we consider to be critical to the success of this role
- Skilled and experienced line manager confident in managing capability, conduct, absence issues; providing feedback and holding challenging conversations
- Flexible and agile approach
- Confidence in managing issues relating to capability, conduct and absences and comfortable with challenging conversations
- Skilled in relationship building and stakeholder engagement
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, solutions focused approach
- High degree of resilience and proven ability to work under pressure and at pace
- Able to work as part of a team or independently, at all levels and be hands-on where necessary
- Highly effective communication and influencing skills
- Prepared to work within a large geographical area
- Excellent level of numeracy and skilled in verbal and written comms
- High level of computer literacy in MS Office
Education & qualifications
- Relevant industry requirements, RICS, Surveying Degree or HND
- Coaching or Mentoring Qualification for example ILM at level 3 or higher
Why work for us?
At Keepmoat Homes we pride ourselves on being a great place to work. As the market leader in our industry we want to ensure that we attract, motivate and retain the best people who can deliver the best service for our customers.
- Competitive rates of pay – We regularly check our pay against our competitors to make sure they reflect our position as market leader. We also review our pay every year.
- Bonus Scheme – Our annual bonus scheme is linked to team and company performance.
- Special offers for staff – We run a range of offers and discounts exclusively for our employees including holidays, health club memberships and days out.
- Trust – We encourage you to come up with ideas and get the most out of your job with us.
- Development – we offer genuine development opportunities to progress your career.
Our values are the foundation for our vision, the cornerstone of our culture and the benchmark for our achievement.
- Straightforward - We get the job done in the most efficient and effective way. We are friendly, open and honest. It’s about being respectful and working in a transparent and honest way.
- Collaborative - We work together in partnership to deliver the very best customer experience. Partnership working is key to our business. We work collaboratively to deliver the best results possible.
- Passionate - We care about what we do. We put pride and energy into delivering results. It’s important to us to do a good job.
- Creative - We are proactive, flexible and resourceful. We listen, learn and deliver solutions. We don’t offer a one size fits all solution; we are flexible and will tailor our services to our customers’ needs.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Location: Hebburn, NE31 2EX
Employer: Keepmoat Homes, North East
Job type: Permanent Full Time
Closing date: 30/12/2022